Hiring A Wedding Car....The Law!
While there are extensive rules and regulations concerning the operating of PSV vehicles, the main points for the consumer to look out for are outlined below.
Do remember that if your wedding car supplier does not conform to the requirments detailed below, you will be travelling in an uninsured, unlicensed and untested vehicle on what is the most important day of your life.
There is no shortage of illegal operators to choose from, these unscrupulous suppliers who only care about lining their own pockets and leaving the legal suppliers to pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong.
Please ensure your supplier is legal:
1. Two door cars are not allowed to be offered for hire.
2. Vans or other commercial vehicles as above.
3. Receipts must be provided for deposits.
4. Vehicles must be licensed by the Taxi Regulator. The car must have a SILVER or GREEN disc attached to the windscreen containing the cars details.
5. The driver MUST hold a PSV License, this must be displayed on the dashboard, and it shows the drivers' name and a photograph of the driver.
6. The vehicle MUST have PSV insurance, covering it for public hire. The insurance/tax disc should usually show, ‘LIMO’ printed on them.
7. You can phone the NTA or look up the NTA website check out your potential supplier.
8. Go and see the car before you book, if possible.
9. Vehicles rented from Northern Ireland, or Great Britain, cannot operate wholly within the Republic of Ireland, ie; the trip must either start or end in Northern Ireland.
10. Cars advertised as 'vintage style', may be in fact modern 'kit cars'. Do ensure you are getting what you actually want, while there is generally no problem here, its a question of actually getting the wedding car you really want.
11. You may be told something like ‘those rules don’t apply to vintage cars/vans’, if you are, then walk away, these rules apply to ALL vehicles for public hire, regardless of age or location.
12. If we can help or give advice in regard to hiring a wedding car, regardless of supplier, do feel free to contact us, we would only be too delighted to help you.